Thursday 14 April 2016

Developing A Clear Focus, Find Your Passion

Watch, read, read some more and watch some more. Repeat.
You Tube is a sensational tool. Flicking on a video from a You-tuber that I like and just letting the playlist run has been instrumental in introducing me to new but related ideas.
For example, I have an addiction to Starry Hilder's videos. Her enthusiasm for her off-grid homestead, and just her life in general, is inspiring and always makes me feel happy. One of these videos led on to a video from Mat and Danielle (Exploring Alternatives). Now I can't get enough of their videos either! I was impressed with their take on minimilism and in awe of their nomadic lifestyle. One of their videos put me onto the notion of zero waste lifestyles and onto Gittemary Johansen's channel. She is so sweet and very cool and now...guess what...I'm obsessed with her too!
I love reading and regularly borrow books from the library. It's interesting that when you get hooked on a subject the whole thing sort of snowballs. One book leads to another recommended book, to another and may even opens up a whole other library section which you thought was irrelevant to your interests to begin with. All of a sudden an interest in homemaking, becomes homesteading, becomes organic gardening, becomes anti-chemicals, becomes anti-corporation, becomes politically observant/skeptic, becomes off- grid activist minimilist homesteading organic gardening farmer who aims for zero waste! Whew!
Then usually I will turn to blogs. I love the fact that blogs are often short, to the point (except possibly my own! ;) ) and specific. Nice nibble sized pieces of information accessible just about anywhere. Yes! The information age is wondrous!
So let's break it down now, the process to gain clarity which has worked for me is:
1. Watch your favourite You-tuber on a topic which fascinates you and let You Tube run its course.
2. Hopefully a whole lot of relevant videos have popped up and lead you in a direction within the spectrum of your original interest. Watch and keep watching until something jumps.
3. That thing that jumped out at you... watch some more videos and find a book or three (let's be honest, I never walk out of the library with one book!) in your local library which goes further in depth. If your hooked on the book, you've got a winner! If you weren't kept up all night flicking pages then go onto another, then another until you narrow it down.
4. Take any further questions/intrigues to the Google-meister. Find a few blog posts and boom! You should have that idea more focused than before.
I hope this helps you find your passion and a direction towards finding a focus.
Please share with me how you have found your focus/passion and how you continue to develop it. I think this is a never ending path and there is certainly more than one way to go about it. One tiny action/reaction to an experience might be all it took for you to find your path. I would love to read your stories. Please leave a comment below :)
Xx SheeForce

No comments:

Post a Comment